He was born in New Delhi. He was raised in Shimla and
New Delhi. 1974 Founder member of `New Group`, a Delhi
based artists` group. 1977 Joined Gallery 26/ Artists
Forum, New Delhi. 1977 He created a tapestry mural for
Indian Trade Exhb., Moscow. He designed a photography
exhb. titled `Woman / Goddess`, curated by Gayatri Sinha.
He also designed publications, exhb., interiors, furnitures
and created trade fair graphics. Lives and works in
- 1965-72 Studied at College of Art, New Delhi.
- 1968 Annual exhb., AIFACS, New Delhi.
- 1969 Art Today I, Kunika-Chemould Gallery, New Delhi.
- 1970 Art Today II- Paintings, Ashoka Gallery, New
- 1971 Art Today III- Graphics and Drawings, Ashoka
Gallery, New Delhi.
- 1974-75 `New Group`, Lalit Kala Akademi, New Delhi.
- 1975 Group show, Jehangir Art Gallery, Bombay.
- 1975 Under Thirty Five, Lalit Kala Akademi, New
- 1976 National Exhb., Lalit Kala Akademi, New Delhi.
- 1976 Twenty Artists, Shridharani Gallery, New Delhi.
- 1977 Gallery 26/ Artists Forum exhb., New Delhi.
- 1977 Joint show, Black Partridge Gallery, New Delhi.
- 1977 `New Group` exhb., Jehangir Art Gallery, Bombay.
- 1977 Twenty Artists, Shridharani Gallery, New Delhi.
- 1977 Art-India 77, Lalit Kala Akademi, New Delhi.
- 1977 Participated in the travelling exhb., Lalit
- 1977 Pictorial Space, curated by Geeta Kapur, Lalit
Kala Akademi, New Delhi.
- 1978 Works on Paper, Dhoomimal Art Gallery, New
Society of Contemporary Art, London. National Gallery
of Modern Art, New Delhi. Bharat Bhavan, Bhopal. Punjab
Museum, Chandigarh. Lalit Kala Akademy, New Delhi. Mr.
V. Sanjay Kumar, Madras. Mr. Devender Sahani. Delhi
Art Gallery, New Delhi.
1976 Received the National Award, Lalit Kala Akademi,
New Delhi. 1980 Received award at All India Exhb. of
Prints, Chandigarh. 1981 Received award at All India
Exhb. of Prints, Chandigarh. 1982 Received award at
All India Exhb. of Prints, Chandigarh. 1982 Received
Sahitya Kala Parishad Award, New Delhi. 1989 Receives
Fellowship from the Federal Republic of Germany for
the advanced exposure to the exhb. and Graphic Design.
He has been profiled in `A Painters Portraits` a film
by K. Bikram Singh for Doordarshan; Indian Songs- Multiple
Streams in Contemporary Indian Art, Art Gallery of New
South Wales, Sydney; MTV and numerous television programmes.
In Amitava`s art, we see the collapse of the traditional
aesthetics of beauty and equilibrium. His is the raw
energy at work that refines itself through its own gestural
acts. He allows no preconceived plan or theme to guide
his actions which often arises from subconscious levels
of sentience, allowing plastic signs and signals to
emerge through incident.
1974-75 Lecturer, Art Institute, Jamia Millia Islamia,
New Delhi. 1975-77 Visiting Lecturer, College of Art
and Womens Polytechnic, New Delhi.