He was born in Calcutta. Lives and works in Kolkata.
- 1965 Graduated from the Govt. College of Art and
Craft, Calcutta with a First Class in Fine Art.
- Studied modern method of printmaking (Graphics),
Atelier 17, Paris, under S.W. Hayter and Krishna Reddy.
- Also studied Art-monumental (fresco), cole Nationale
Superieure des Beaux-Arts, Paris under Prof. Bertholle.
- Held 24 solo exhb. in Paris, Norway, Kolkata, New
Delhi and Mumbai.
- Participated in major graphic art exhb. in India
- National exhb., Lalit Kala Akademi, New Delhi.
- Exhb., All India Fine Arts and Crafts Society, New
- Indian Printmaking Today and Indian Drawing Today,
organised by Jehangir Art Gallery, Bombay.
- 1986 Participated in the 6th Triennale India, Lalit
Kala Akademi, New Delhi.
- 1970, 71 Salon de Mai-Paris Salon de Grabado-Madrid,
Cagne-sur-mer, Jeune Gravure Contemporaire, Paris.
- Biennale of Prints, Seoul and Ljublijana.
- Also participated in many other group shows in India
and in Spain, Germany, France, Iceland, Luxembourg,
Portugal, USA and Norway.
- 2003 Manifestations, organised by Delhi Art Gallery,
World Trade Center, Mumbai and Delhi Art Gallery,
- Art Camps:
- 1984 Prof. Paul Lingreens Printmaking workshop,
- 1990 Multi-media Camp, Simla, organized by Central
Lalit Kala Akademi, New Delhi.
- 1992 Conflu
- National Gallery of Modern Art, New Delhi.
- Museum of Art, Chandigarh.
- Central Lalit Kala Akademi, New Delhi.
- College of Art, New Delhi.
- Museum of Contemporary Art, Hyderabad.
- Taj Group of Hotels, Mumbai.
- Air India, Mumbai.
- Birla Academy of Art and Culture, Kolkata. Bibliotheque
- Museo Espanol de Arte, Contemporanew, Madrid.
- Museum of Modern Art, Argentine.
- Lille Hammer Victoria Hotel, Oslo.
- Delhi Art Gallery, New Delhi.
- 1970 Awarded in the XIth Salon International of
- 1969-71 Awarded French Govt. Scholarship for higher
studies in Paris.
- 1971 Fellowship, Royal Norwegian Government to do
research in Graphics at Atelier Nord, Oslo.
- 1972 Awarded at the Mahakoshal Kala Parishad, Raipur,
- 1972, 73 Award, AIFACS, New Delhi.
- 1975 UNESCO Fellowship, for higher studies in Television
Graphics at the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation,
- Awarded Senior Fellowship in Visual Art from the
Department of Culture, Ministry of Human Resource
Development, Govt. of India, for a period of 2 years.
- 1977 Award, Hyderabad Arts Society, Hyderabad.
Tapan Ghosh`s works capture the playfulness of formal
elements, with line and colour chasing each other, disappearing
and showing up unexpectedly to take the viewer by surprise.
He doesnt only simply capture descriptions of the tangible
world but enjoys the inventiveness of form making through
playful deliberations, exploring the layering process,
using instinctive control, often guided by the elements