He was born in Calcutta, West Bengal. 1953-59 Founder
member and Secretary, Artists Circle, Calcutta. 1960-74
Member, Society of Contemporary Artists, Calcutta. 1972,
73 Innovator, wood-intaglio technique. 1975, 76 Innovator,
technique of engraving on sunmica. 1975, 76 Innovator,
cardboard intaglio technique. 1978, 92, 98 Jury member,
All India Exhb., Birla Academy of Art and Craft, Calcutta.
1986, 93 Jury member, National Exhb., Lalit Kala Akademi,
New Delhi. 1988 Jury member, All India Exhb., Manipur.
Lives and works in Santiniketan.
- 1950-55 Studied at Govt. College of Art and Craft,
- 1962, 67, 90, 92, 94, 2000 Solo exhb. in Calcutta.
- 1969, 72, 84, 91 Solo exhb. in New Delhi.
- 1970, 89, 91 Solo exhb., in Bombay.
- 1975, 80 Exhb., Nandan Gallery, Kala Bhavan, Santiniketan.
- 1976 Tokyo Biennale, Tokyo.
- 1979, 88 Solo exhb. in Bangalore.
- 1981 Solo exhb. in Goa.
- 1983 India in Print, Koninklijk Institute Vorde,
- 1985 Solo exhb., Cymroza and Camlin Gallery, Bombay.
- 1985 4th International Exhb. of Small Graphic Forms,
- 1985 Solo exhb., Sarala Art Gallery, Madras.
- 1987 Eight Contemporary Artists, Birla Academy Art
and Culture, Calcutta.
- 1988 Festival of India, Takaoka Municipal Museum
and Meguro Museum of Art, Japan.
- 1988 Art for Cry, Bombay, Calcutta, New Delhi and
- 1990 Helpage 1990, Bombay.
- 1999 Bengal Foundation, Dhaka.
- 2000 Exhb., Indian Embassy, Berlin.
- 2002 Retrospective, Birla Academy Art and Culture,
- 2003 Manifestations, organised by Delhi Art Gallery,
- Sara Abraham, Madras.
- Birla Academy of Art and Culture, Calcutta.
- Mr. H.K. Kejriwal , Bangalore.
- Lalit Kala Akademi, New Delhi.
- Natinal Gallery of Modern Art, New Delhi.
- Pratt Graphic Art Center, New Delhi.
- Punjab University Museum, Patiala.
- Delhi Art Gallery, New Delhi.
- 1973 Award, AIFACS, New Delhi.
- 1978, 84, 92 Award, International Print Exhb., AIFACS,
- 1993 West Bengal State Lalit Kala Akademi Award,
- 1996 Awarded Shiromani Puraskar, Calcutta.
- 1997 Awarded Kala Vibhushan.
Sanat Kar is well recognized as an innovative and
sensitive printmaker, especially in wood intaglios.
His prints have lyrical quality and are notable for
there finesse. He has also worked in oil, and has done
cast sculptures in bronze too.
1974-76 Taught at Kala Bhavan, Santiniketan. 1976-89
Head of the Dept. of Graphic, Kala Bhavan, Santiniketan.
1978 Visiting lecturer, Faculty of Fine Arts, Maharaja
Sayajirao University, Baroda. 1985 Visiting lecturer,
College of Fine Arts, Kerala University, Kerala. 1989-91
Principal, Kala Bhavan, Santiniketan. 1990 Visiting
Lecturer, Banasthali Vidyapith, Rajasthan. 1995 Retired,
Kala Bhavan, Santiniketan.