He was born at Akola, Maharashtra. 1959-69 Worked as
Textile Designer for Handloom, W.S.C. Govt. of India
in Madras, Delhi and Bombay. 1962 He was the organising
member of `Group 1890`. 1966,68 He was invited by the
German Govt. to be a guest artist. 1971 Travelled to
USA on the invitation of the Central Govt. 1986 Served
on the jury of the Bharat Bhavan Biennale, Bhopal. Lives
and works in Oslo, Norway.
- 1947-52 Diploma (Painting) J.J. School of Art,
- 1951 Non- Representation Group Exhb., Bombay.
- 1960 `12 Young Painters`, New Delhi.
- 1962 Triveni Kala Sangam, New Delhi.
- 1963 `Group 1890`, group show inaugurated by Pandit
- 1964 `Art Now in India`, New Castle, England &
- 1965 Participated in the Tokyo Biennale, Japan.
- 1965-70 Solo show at Kunika Chemould Gallery, New
- 1966 National Exhb. Rabindra Bhavan, Lalit Kala
Akademi, New Delhi.
- 1967 Sao Paulo Biennale, Brazil.
- 1967 `Twentyfive Years of Art in Bombay`, sponsored
by Chemould Gallery.
- 1967 `Contemporary Art in India and Iran`, sponsored
by the Ben and Abie Foundation. 1968 `Five Contemporaries`,
New Delhi and Ahmedabad.
- 1968-69 Chemould Gallery, Bombay. 1970 `Art Today`,
Ashoka Gallery, New Delhi.
- 1970 Nagar Gallery, Tehran, Iran.
- 1970 Coray Gallery, Zurich, Switzerland.
- 1970 Exhb. at Konark Gallery, New Delhi.
- 1973 Solo Exhb. at Gallery Art, Zurich.
- 1973-75 Surya Gallerie, Freinsheim, Germany.
- National Gallery of Modern Art, New Delhi.
- Lalit Kala Akademi, New Delhi.
- Roopankar-Museum of Art, Bharat Bhavan, Bhopal.
- Birla Academy of Art and Culture, Calcutta.
- Chandigarh University Museum, Chandigarh.
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Bombay.
- Taj Hotel, Bombay.
- Masanori Fuluoka, Glenbarra Art Museum, Hemeji,
- Ben & Abbey Grey Foundation, USA. H.M. Shahabanu
- State Gallery, Norway.
- Norsk Kulturrad, Norway.
- Jehangir Nicholson Museum, NCPA, Bombay.
- Mr. Yehudi Menuhin.
- Dr. Octavio Paz, Mexico.
- Mr. & Mrs. R. Rettberg, West Germany.
- Mr. Peter Rindle, Vienna.
- Dr. Lee, Canada.
- Mr. & Mrs. Patrick Whaley, U.K.
- Dr. E. Riedi.
- Mr. & Mrs. Imhasely.
- Mrs. V. Raeber, Switzerland.
- Mr. W. Beardsley.
- Dr. Samuel Clerk. Mrs. Kerson.
- Mr. and Mrs. Paul Aimmermann, U.S.A.
- Mr. P.N. Amersey.
- Mr. D.S. Bottlewala.
- Mr. J.M. Billimoria.
- Mr. J.P. Dubash.
- Mr. S.P. Godrej.
- Mr. & Mrs. Navroz Vakil, Bomba
- 1963 Received National Award, Lalit Kala Akademi,
- 1965 He was invited to West Germany.
- 1970 He was invited to the United States.
- 1990-91 He was appointed `Artist in Residence`,
Bharat Bhavan, Bhopal.
- 1994,96 Stripend from BKS, Norway.
Familiar whorls and whirls of the broad brush, with
textures created by its hairlines. All this may look
like furrowed land seen from the air, or a cross-section
of the earth`s womb discovered deep down some shaft,
or reflections of reeds undulating in a placid stream,
or spools of celluloid unwound and left on the floor
in a heap. This is, of course only to find a verbal
parallel to describe the visual schemes of Ambadas not
to pinpoint their essence, which is a sort of dynamic
movement of form, light and colour, all together.