Date of Birth : 6th March 1971
- 1992 A.T.D. from Sir J.J. School for Art, Mumbai,
- 1998 Art Master (A.M.) from Sir J.J. School for
Art, Mumbai, India
- 2004 Maharashtra State Award (Sculpture)
- 2003 Kala Darpan Puraskar, Ojhar, Nasik
- 2003 Merit Certificate (Sculpture), South Central
Zone Cultural Centre, Nagpur
- 2003 Merit Certificate, The Bombay Art Society
- 2003 Surabhi Kalaratna Award, Aurangabad
- 2002 Bharat Ratna Late Shri. Rajiv Gandhi Award
- 2001 Camlin Art Foundation Award (Oil Colour)
- 2000 Krishnaji Keluskar "LOK SHIKSHAK"
Art Shows / Exhibitions
- 2004 World Trade Centre, Mumbai, India orgainsed
by SBI Bank.
- 2003 Talkatoria Stadium, Organised by BDSA, New
- 2002-2003 Jehangir Art Gallery, Pradarshank Art
Gallery, Siddhivinayak Trust Hall Airoli, DCB Mini
- 2001 Mandvi Bank Art Gallery, Mumbai, India
- 2000 Gallerie Leela, Mumbai, India
- 1997-1999 Rewa Art Gallery, Nehru Centre Art Gallery,
Gallery While Colume, Mahalsa Art Gallery
- 2005 VDIS London, UK
- 2004 India Art Gallery, Pune
- 2004 Concern India Foundation, Artnet (Contemporary
Indian Art), Artist Centre, Mumbai
- 2004 Harmony Show, Mumbai, India
- 2004 OTIA ASIAN SCULPTURE (JAPAN)
- 2004 Rashtriya Lalit Kala Kendra, Lucknow, India
- 2004 Jehandir Art Gallery, State Art Exhibition,
- 2003 World Trade Centre, Jakarta (Indonasia).
At Art Auction
- 2004 At a charity show for Passages Breast Cancer
Health Project, Mumbai, India
- 2003 Occasion of Children's Day "DEEDS"
have a heart, Mumbai, India
Honors & Awards
- 2004 International Awar OTIA ASIAN SCULPTURE (JAPAN)
Photo Book Selection
- 2004 Dr. Ambedkar Fellowship Award, BDSA, New Delhi,
Shankar Sonawane's oeuvre covers a vast gamut of subjects.
Not confined to any peculiarity, he explores a whole
array of emotions involving war and peace. His palette
comprises of bold hues, which enhance the solidarity
of his expressions. His repertoire is a vivid portrayal
of faceless urban characters, mystically eclipsed backgrounds
and sometimes paintings of gods and goddesses. He brings
to his canvas the horrifying shadows of war with as
much ease as the flowing hues of the evening breeze.
His work exuberates the intense and silent ripples that
find a way to our innermost selves. Peace as an entity,
cutting through all boundaries and religions, ruminates
in his work. His paintings meditate over his ideology
Sonawane's paintings demonstrate a kind of ruggedness.
His strokes are confident. He has an exceptional ability
to recreate space on canvas. Figurative in style, his
work exhibits mastery and a high command over colour
and form. Conviction and clarity of thought is supported
by innovative use of materials and media.
The more familiar of his body of works are, the depiction
of the 'Buddha', goddess 'Kali', lord 'Ganesha' and
the eternal 'Om'. These paintings have become a powerful
language of peace and serenity, which one tends to surrender
Shankar has particiapted in a lot of Art Shows, Exhibitions,
Art Camps and Workshops in India and Japan. He has received
Awards and Honours in many such occassions. Listed here
are a few of those efforts of his.